Skip to Content

Warm Wall Near an Electrical Outlet? A Warning NOT to Ignore

Warm Wall Near an Electrical Outlet? A Warning NOT to Ignore

Are you noticing that the wall near your electrical outlet feels warm to the touch?

Or even more confusing, you’re sitting there asking yourself, “Why is my outlet warm with nothing plugged in?”

And then this begs the question, “Is it normal for an outlet to get warm?”

The truth is, it’s most definitely not!

Here’s the thing:

It’s likely there’s an electrical issue that needs to be addressed.

And a warm electrical outlet is an indicator you just don’t want to ignore.

But why is your outlet hot or the surrounding wallboard heating up in the first place, even when nothing’s plugged in?

It could be due to electrical overload, faulty wiring, or a short circuit.

Either way, know this:

Outlets and their wiring should not ever be noticeably warm, or hot for that matter, in the first place.

Ignoring this sign could lead to serious safety hazards like electrical fires.

So below, I’ll explain the potential causes of a warm wall near an electrical outlet and guide you on how to best address the problem.

Understanding Potential Causes of a Warm Wall near an Electrical Outlet

warm wall causes next to outlet

What’s making your wall feel the heat?

Let’s check out some of the most common culprits:

1. Electrical Overload

Electrical overload can cause a warm wall near an electrical outlet. 

This often occurs when too many devices are plugged into the outlet.

This can also happen when an outlet handles more electrical current than it’s designed for, like devices with high power needs.

What’s happening, is a lot of electricity is pumping through the wiring and connections behind the outlet.

The overload can eventually lead to a warm wall and may escalate into hazardous electrical fires in worst case scenarios.

To prevent electrical overload, it’s important to limit the number of devices or appliances connected to a single outlet.

The fix?

Simply be intentional about distributing usage across multiple outlets. Power strips with overload protection can also be your best friend here!

2. Loose Outlet Connections

Loose wiring within the outlet can cause a warm wall near it.

Essentially, if wires aren’t bound tightly and close together, you get electrical resistance, which generates heat.

If you suspect loose connections within your outlet, it’s crucial to switch off the power and refrain from using it until you or someone qualified can inspect it.

That’s not all:

In some instances, the entire outlet might require replacement if outlet connector ports or screws aren’t allowing for secure connections.

Regular electrical maintenance and inspection can prevent and catch loose connections.

3. Poor Installation

Improper outlet installation can cause a warm wall near the outlet. Poor installation can occur due to various reasons.


Incorrect wiring can cause loose connections, which generates unwanted heat. This can damage the outlet and the surrounding areas.


If the outlet is not grounded correctly, it can create an electrical shock hazard.


Improper depth of the outlet can cause it to protrude from the wall, making it unsafe.

In addition to this, an improperly installed outlet may come loose from the wall.

It’s crucial to hire a licensed electrician for all electrical installation work to prevent hazards that cause outlets to heat up!

4. Faulty Wiring

When you feel your outlets or the walls near them are warm to the touch, this could be due to faulty wiring.

Keep in mind:

Electrical wiring will wear and tear over time. It leads to frayed wires, loose connections, or damaged insulation.

You might find things heating up or outlets not working at all on the wall when this happens.

If you suspect faulty wiring, it’s crucial to turn off the power and have the outlet inspected by a licensed electrician.

5. Short Circuit

A short circuit occurs when an electrical current flows a path with little resistance, causing the current to bypass the normal circuit.

Short circuits can happen due to various reasons, such as damaged wiring, loose connections, or faulty electrical components.

They can cause electrical fires, shock, and other hazards if not handled correctly.

If you witness an outlet getting hot to the touch, this may be a sign of a short circuit. It’s best not to attempt fixing it yourself.

What to Do When You Notice a Warm Wall or Outlet

In this section, I’ll cover the steps you should take if you notice a hot outlet or an outlet warm to touch.

Keep reading to find out:

1. Turn Off the Power

The first thing you should do is to turn off the power to the electrical outlet.

Make sure that you unplug all connected devices and turn off the circuit breaker that controls the outlet.

2. Don’t Use the Outlet

Don’t attempt to use the outlet until it’s fixed. Using a faulty outlet can be dangerous and cause damage to your home’s electrical system.

3. Inspect the Outlet

burn marks inside warm outlet

If you’re handy and have experience with electrical switches and outlets, then it can’t hurt to unscrew the outlet cover and pull out the outlet.

You can easily check for loose wiring, poor connections and other issues that might be causing the faulty outlet.

Burn marks are the obvious sign you need to get this problem solved ASAP.

Keep in mind that you CAN tighten up any connections or even replace the outlet, but it might not resolve the issue.

If it doesn’t it’s time to move to Step 4 next.

4. Call an Electrician

If you notice a warm wall near an electrical outlet, see what happens if you unplug anything that was using it.

If that already is the case, it’s best to contact a licensed electrician.

They have the necessary tools and know-how to diagnose and fix electrical problems safely.

5. Watch the Area

Keep an eye on the wall while you wait for the electrician. You should monitor the area until help comes.


If you notice smoke, burning, or an increase in warmth, leave the area and call emergency services.

6. Prevent Future Issues

Once the electrician fixes the problem, take steps to prevent future issues.

Here’s what you can do:

Don’t overload outlets, use surge protectors, and have your electrical system inspected regularly especially if your home was built before 1980.

Tips to Avoiding a Warm Wall near an Electrical Outlet

protect wall outlet with surge device

Keeping your home safe from potential electrical hazards is crucial, and one sign to look for is if there’s an outlet warm to touch.

Here are the preventative measures I personally use to keep my home safe and my outlets cool:

1. Use Surge Protectors

Electrical surges can cause overloading, leading to a warm wall near an electrical outlet.

Installing surge protectors can protect your devices from this hazard.

2. Don’t Overload Outlets

Plugging in too many devices in one outlet can overload it. Use multiple outlets or power strips to reduce and distribute the load.

3. Inspect Wirings Regularly

Checking your home’s wiring frequently can prevent electrical issues. It’s crucial to check for damaged or frayed wirings.

4. Schedule Electrical Inspections

Regular inspections by a licensed electrician can help detect potential issues before they escalate into bigger problems.

5. Avoid Using Extension Cords

Long-term use of extension cords can cause electrical overload. It’s best to avoid using them whenever possible.

6. Install AFCIs and GFCIs

Install arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) and ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to prevent electrical fires and shocks.

Here’s what they do:

AFCIs are designed to detect and prevent electrical fires caused by arcing. GFCIs, on the other hand, protect against electrical shocks.

7. Upgrade Your Electrical System

Consider upgrading your electrical system if it’s already outdated. Upgrading can help ensure that your home meets modern-day standards.

Doing so can prevent potential issues that may cause a warm wall near an electrical outlet.

So, that’s the deal:

If you ever find yourself feeling a warm wall near an electrical outlet, don’t panic.

Do this instead…

Turn off the power and stop using the outlet. Then, call for the help of a licensed electrician and monitor the area while waiting.

After the outlet is fixed, use the safety tips above to prevent future issues like this.

By following these steps, you can keep your home safe and sound. What’s more, you can prevent spending money on costly damages.

Sharing is Caring!